2015 is only days away from coming to an end; and it’s not too late to kick the gear up and start planning 2016. While I’m one of those annoying people that likes to set new years resolutions, you don’t have to set specific goals I do feel it’s a good idea to start your year with some basic principles.
You might like to create your own, but here are 15 simple ideas to make 2016 your best year yet.
1. Drink more water: You’re probably sick of hearing this one, as am I, but hydration is the key for better health, better sleep, better sex life; the whole shabam.
2. Eat more vegetables: The best things you can do for your body is eat more greens. Get in more of those good, dark leafy green vegetables, vibrant reds and purples.
3. Get enough sleep: For a good night’s sleep, unplug your electronic devices at least a half hour before bedtime, give yourself a nightly ritual to help signal to your body that it’s time for bed. Keep the room dark, quiet, and on the cool side. A good old fashioned fiction novel does wonders for calming the brain.
4. Get out in nature: Something that’s Aussies love doing anyway, train outdoors! Don’t rely on the treadmill or a yoga class, instead head out in the nature and work up a sweat in the woods. A walk on the treadmill will give you just the cardio workout as a run along the ocean, but the walk in the park will leave you feeling good all the way down to your soul.
5. Cut out all the junk: You’ll probably plan to do this anyway, but cut out all the junk from your life. Not just the food – but also the mail and the people. If anyone or anything makes you feel bad about living, then it doesn’t need to be in your life. My mantra is, if it doesn’t make you smile, it’s not worth it. Every few months I go through the painful process of unsubscribing to all those pesky emails that land in my inbox. It’s cathartic!
6. Move more: If you followed these steps, you shouldn’t really be worrying about holiday fat, but either way aim for 30 minutes of exercise a day. Find something that you love to do and then — go do it!
7. Visit the doc: Don’t wait until you’re already sick to go see your GP. Schedule an annual checkup just to make sure things are working the way they should. Be sure to know your weight, cholesterol, and blood pressure numbers. Get a routine blood test for optimal health, testing full blood count including your vitamins and minerals. Even if they come back healthy, ask to read the results and you can see if your levels are on the low or high side of healthy.
8. Help others more: Few things will make you feel better in life than giving back and doing something for others around you. Find a charity or organisation you believe in and see how you can support them more.
9. Remove everything toxic from your life: If you’re in a toxic relationship, have toxic habits, are heavily in debt, or are engaging in dangerous activities, it’s time to get real with yourself and work to fix these issues head on. Acknowledging them is the first step, the rest is easier than you’d think.
10. Have fun: Life isn’t a serious mess! And you know it. Have a little fun! Pick up some hobbies or activities that bring you pleasure. Watch a funny movie. Play with your kids. Laugh with your friends. Find the fun in life. Because you’ll regret it otherwise.
11. Stop being so hard on yourself: Nobody is perfect, so stop being so hard on yourself. Maybe you aren’t as thin as you’d like to be, your house isn’t as perfect as you’d imagined it or you’re not in your dream job yet. But you’re still alive to cherish it and make it worth living. Cheer up!
12. Stretch yourself: If you don’t exercise in the A.M., then spend a few minutes every morning stretching your body and getting yourself ready for the day. This is great for you for a number of reasons.
13. Practice gratitude. Being thankful for what you have in your life is such a powerful way to help you love and appreciate everything around you. Even on my worst days I remind myself that there is always something to be thankful for. Each night before you go to sleep, think of three things that you are grateful for. Drift off to sleep with that spirit of gratitude in your heart. See how beautiful you’ll feel the next day.