Morning lethargy and dullness is almost an imperative for most of us. Our relationship with the snooze button is a well-known one, often making us procrastinate our morning routines. And sometimes, a morning espresso is just not enough to wake up those eyes.
Hence, enter Bulletproof cofee…
Bulletproof Coffee has been around for some years now, but it has really only become more mainstream in line with the realisation that the food pyramid is a pack of lies, and toast and cereal is not a nutritious start to the day.
The what and the why
Bulletproof coffee, otherwise known as a “fat black,” is a concoction of coffee, butter and coconut oil that will kick start your metabolism, promote fat burning, aid satiety and improve mental acuity. It is the combination of caffeine, saturated fats and medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) that makes this coffee ideal pre-training to assist fat adaptation and performance, and far superior to your standard latte.
There are many different approaches and you may already have your favourite, but if you’re yet to jump on the bulletproof coffee train, here is our preferred version.
- Good-quality organic coffee (please: no instant and definitely no decaf!)
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed unsalted butter (start with your local health food store, although some supermarkets are starting to stock this)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (66% MCTs)
- Make a standard espresso using a coffee machine or your preferred method.
- Add hot water to a blender to pre-heat.
- Empty water and add coffee, butter and coconut oil and blend for 10-20 seconds or until creamy and well combined.
- Consume and become bulletproof.
How do you enjoy your bulletproof coffee? Would you have it everyday?