Overdosing the daily plate with carbohydrate and sugar heavy foods isn’t just damaging the waistlines, but also our sex lives in the bedroom, says new research. If you’re hoping for bedroom bliss, stay away from food that hike up the blood glucose level, cause bloating and fatigue, because who would want anything unsexy between the sheets?! Yes, I guess not.
If you want to get laid and enjoy while you’re at it, it’s best you avoid the following five foods before sex:
- Burgers and Hotdogs: It might be challenging to keep your man off the high-fat sausages, especially on game day, but him knowing that this low-grade meat with high chemical content is really bad for your sex life might help. The high saturated fat content in burger patties and hot dog sausages can clog the penile and vaginal arteries, causing havoc in sexual arousal. Switch to organic meat, and grill everything instead of deep-frying.
- Mixing alcoholic drinks: G&Ts might be a good idea on paper, but tonic and other sugary fruit juices are a threat for your sexual drive. Tonic contains high level of quinine – an ingredient that gives tonic its bitter taste – known to lower testosterone and sperm count levels. And all those mixers and chasers added to cocktails not only increase their sugar levels, but are also responsible for killing the libido in women. Solution: have straight up tequila and clear vodka, if you may.
- Peppermint: Sure bad breathe is a big turn-off, but fixing that with peppermint might hinder the situation even more. The menthol in peppermint has been shown to reduce testosterone levels in men. Even chewing peppermint-flavoured gums comes with bad news: chewing gum induces air into the stomach, making you burp and gassy at those unfortunate moments. If you must, have some peppermint tea that’s very low in menthol and a good digestive pre-bedroom action.
- Tofu: If you know you’re going to get lucky post your Thai date, avoid ordering stir-fry with tofu. Tofu has high levels of plant-based phytoestrogens which can up estrogen levels, a sex-drive stealer in men and women. For a vegetarian-friendly alternative, try eggs for protein or ask for an all-vegetable stir-fry.
- Oatmeal: While oatmeal wins points in all other aspects of healthy eating, when it comes to food that up the libido, it seriously lacks. The high amount of fibre and carbohydrates in oats result in an uncomfortable, bloating and gassy feeling. Maybe save a big bowl of warming oatmeal after your morning session!?